Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Guess who came for dinner?

Last night hubby's parents came over to have dinner at our house. Since my mom is visiting, it was a perfect way to get all the grandparents together to enjoy some time with Rt. Oh, and we were there too. Since my mom currently lives in OK, she only visits when she can. So, getting everyone together had not happened in over a year. And back then, Rt just sat there, or laid there and didn't "entertain" as he does now, so last night was even sweeter.

I wonder if last night was bittersweet for my mom and/or hubby's parents. Sharing Rt is not the easiest thing to do, I can imagine. When we are up at hubby's parents house, "the lodge", they are the "Gee gee and Fa Fa" and when Rt is with my mom, she is the "Mimi". What is Rt to do with all of them at once? Who does he shine the most for? Who does he go to when he knows he can get something that we won't get for him? What do they do when they aren't the ones he goes to? Wouldn't that be a tad sad? I think if I were in their position, I would enjoy being around my grandson and those who love him, but having to share Rt would be an adjustment.

Has this happened to you? What was it like with both sets of Gparents/In-Laws in the same room together? Any friction? Smooth sailing?

I was too busy to really keep tabs on everyone the entire night since I was "hostess with the mostess". I made two Tamale Pie casseroles, salad and Strawberry No-Bake Cheesecake. I spent half the afternoon cooking while my mom cleaned everything I made dirty. I guess we were both so distracted, that by the time the doorbell rang at 5p.m., my hair was still in this funky chipclip do, my mom was on the floor ironing napkins and Rt was still in his pj's. Whoops. I guess I forgot to change clothes on the kid THE ENTIRE DAY. HA! I knew going to the store to buy groceries yesterday morning in his pj's was ok. It was freezing outside and his footed pj's could be the warmest clothes he has. And I chose to ignore the 4 to 5 times Rt watched his Signing Time show. I had so much cooking to do, it really kept the day running smoothly while he was preoccupied. All in all, it was a lovely evening. The dinner was fab and the conversation was enjoyable. The boy went to bed on time, fell asleep and didn't ask for our assistance till 3:30am. (wtf?) The beer (mmm) and wine (zzz) were tasty too.

Speaking of, does anyone else notice that our parents are enjoying the vino these days?
I swear, you buy a bottle of white and a bottle of red and it's not enough!
I guess it's the drink of choice for that generation.

And their parents were the ones having bourbon and water at 4:30pm.


e

1 comment:

LVGurl said...

I have a G 'n T on a nightly basis sometimes. And I'll take some wine too please! Guess that makes me an old fogie.