Friday, January 5, 2007

Ode to Pop Tart

What is it about the Pop Tart? I am in my early 30's and still think the frosted cherry pop tart rocks the casbah.

I was wondering what to write about today as I reached down to break off my first piece of pop tart. Of course it was a crust piece with a little icing on it. The best part of the tart in my opinion.

It all started back in the day when I was a young gal and could not get my mom to buy pop tarts at the store. It was considered taboo, a big no-no. I am sure she just wanted to set some sort of boundaries in the sugar for breakfast department. I completely agree with her actions today, but back then, it was cruel.

The only time my brother and I EVER tasted such yumminess was at my grandmother's house.
You know the type of visit. You sit and sulk the whole way to grandma's house wishing
you were back at home attending your best friends slumber party. Your status diminished
within the ranks of your friends because you weren't there to teepee Dirk or Andrew's house and it was the coolest thing evah. It was a long ride to CeCe's house, but there was one gleaming hope. The hope that CeCe remembered to pick up that one little box of Pop Tarts. It really didn't matter what brand they were. (Toastettes do rock). The moment we walked into the smoky, creepy house, my brother and I darted to the kitchen and checked every cabinet to find the golden tarts. There was one time my grandmother forgot the box and we were crushed. I am sure we picked up a box sometime during our trip, but how could she have forgotten the one thing that made our time there truly fabulous? Funny thing about all of this is, my brother is 5 years older than I am. I may have looked childish wishing and wanting these treats so desperately, but it was quite hilarious that my brother felt the same way. I even remember heating up two tarts and setting them down onto my grandmother's card table to watch some TV on her black and white. Little did I know, the steam from the pop tarts made a perfect rectangle imprint on her prized piece of furniture. YIKES!!!

The lovely pop tart has weaved its way throughout my childhood and into my adulthood. I still love eating my cherry OR strawberry treats, but these days I can only eat one cause they are way TOO sweet for my palate.

e

2 comments:

LVGurl said...

I'd like to give a shout out the S'MORES pop tarts!!

Anonymous said...

brown sugar, por favor