Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Project NoNap

If any of you have been keeping tabs of my Twitter posts, you'll know that I have been having a minuscule issue with Rt and his "napping".

Yesterday was plain misery. He chose to play/whine/cry in his crib for over 2 1/2 hours. By the time it was 3:30pm, I decided to go with the "you snooze, you lose" tactic and got him out of the crib. If you don't nap within this time frame, then you don't get to nap at all. (Of course, there have been several times I let him fall asleep as late as 3:30pm, but I was tired of him staying up so late because of it.) I continued to be frustrated with him the rest of the afternoon, but had a hard time staying that way with him being quite cute and cheery for having no sleep. After a quick trip to Target and Chipotle, we settled down to an early dinner at 5:30pm.

Moving as quickly as I could, I had him bathed, dressed and in bed by 6:30pm. He began crying within 5 minutes. Motrin in hand, I went in and gave him a dose of "not sure what your problem is, but this should cure it" and went on my way. He was asleep by 7pm.

Rt slept 11 hours straight last night followed by 50 minutes of aquarium listening before calling for me at his usual morning time of 6:50am. YEEE HAW!

I thought my prayers were answered, my ducks in a row, the sun and the moon aligned, until Rt went down for his nap again today. I peaked in at 1:30pm, 30 minutes after putting him down, to see him rolling around with NO music on. I felt he was on his way to slumberville. I checked back in awhile later to notice a particular odor coming from his room. %##&*%$#! So, off I went to grab a diaper to nip it in the bud ASAP!

After a quickie diaper change, and another round of the whining game, "mommy, I need you, I really need you, NOT!, I told him I wasn't coming back into the room until AFTER he went nite nite. 15 minutes later, he was ASLEEP. At 2:45pm. Greeeeaaat. I am waking him up in 8 minutes, so he can actually have a "normal" bedtime tonight.

Dear "Phase",

Get your ASS and everything associated with it, and leave town. We are done with you here.


e

6 comments:

Losing my Mind said...

lol you so funny girl- i embraced the no nap because that meant bedtime at like 630...for me she always napped in the car while traveling somewhere if she did. So it was a good arrangement the one we had- no screaming in the car, good sleeping in the house

Anonymous said...

I've been through that so many times with Makenna. It comes with having a two-year-old.

Sizzle said...

moms are saints. i swear i couldn't do it!

Anonymous said...

My boys were both done napping at around the age of two...

No nap means for less of a fight at bedtime...until they are three :)

BeachMama said...

I feel your pain. I remember those days very well. I thought my kid would nap until he was at least three or four, but nooooooo. He gave them up, almost completely, by the time he was two. We had a summer of on again off again naps until I finally gave in and realized there were no more. Best of luck, hope he is only having a mini-phase for your sake.

KellyA said...

Ugh...we are going through this as well. Some days C sleeps blissfully and other times she's up all afternoon. Doesn't she understand that when both her and M sleep at the same time mom gets to relax?? I swear the nerve of our kids!! ;)